The Mill in Munsonville

by on June 18, 2011 in Rick Church

The Mill

The village of Munsonville began with the building of the Cotton Factory in 1814 and the larger brick mill in 1843.  For over 100 years it was the focus of the community.  The site remains as the visible connection of the village to its historic past and to the importance of water power to the development of early industry in the state.

1814   Asa  Beard built a cotton factory and boarding house.
1815  A meeting was held for members of the Nelson Cotton and Woolen Corporation, Sept. 18,1815. The notice was signed by Amos Heald and Asa Beard.
1816   Oliver Stone (1786-1841) opened a store in the village.
1818  The Baptist Church was organized, meeting in the attic of the Cotton Factory storehouse.
1837  The Post Office was established in the village.  It was called the Nelson Factory Village P. O.
1843  Alvin Munson bought the Cotton Factory and built a two-story brick mill with “a good basement.”
1849  The Post Office changed its name to Munsonville in honor of Alvin Munson.
1857  Alvin Munson sold to J. D. and L. J. Colony who modernized the cotton mill and doubled the output.
1877  Fire damaged the brick cotton mill.
1878  The brick mill was rebuilt to manufacture chairs adding a third story and a mansard roof, storage, a brick powerhouse, and a dry house.  It began producing 12,000 chairs per year.
1912  Mrs. Frannie Barrett ran the factory after the death of L. J. Colony.
1914  The Colony chair factory ceased production.
1919  Demeritt and Fisher bought the property and made porch and summer chairs.
1929  The Demeritt-Fisher Company ceased production.
1934  McBean bought the factory to make boxes.
1938  A hurricane blew off the factory roof ending manufacturing.

About the Author

About the Author: .

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Subscribe via RSS Feed

Comments are closed.

Top