Roberta Wingerson

rss feed

The Cotton Factory in Munsonville

by Bert Wingerson

Munsonville Cotton Mill

A view of the former boarding house overlooking the mill site.

The solid stone walls of the foundation of the large mill built in Munsonville are all that remain of this early industrial site at the outlet of Granite Lake.  In 1814, Asa Beard built the Cotton Factory, as it was called, and a boardinghouse for mill workers in what was then a remote section of Nelson to take advantage of the waterpower provided by the dammed up Factory Lake.

The boardinghouse is still standing and is now serving as a private residence.  These two structures are the heart of what was to become the village of Munsonville. Continue Reading »

Top